When you type a web address, OpenDNS checks it for you, with no delay, helps you along your way if you are unclear, avoids phishing sites, adds the annoying ‘http://www.” if you forgot it, and even lets you use custom shortcuts for those addresses too long to type. Oh, and it applys the filters you have deemed necessary along the way. If you get an email and it has links to pictures on sites you can’t get to, you can’t see the pictures. That’s a good thing. Click the picture to look into it and then consider buying a router that supports it if yours doesn’t!
Keep your employees, your kids and their friends from “accidentally” seeing something undesirable on the internet in your house or at your place of business. This is free to very low cost.
- OpenDNS makes the Internet safer, faster, smarter and more reliable.
- OpenDNS is cloud-based; all aspects of it are managed via the Web, without desktop software, additional devices or appliances.
- 1 percent of global Internet users are using OpenDNS.
- 1 in 3 K-12 U.S. public schools use OpenDNS.
- Features offered include: • Fast and reliable DNS resolution • Web content filtering • Security: Phishing, botnet and malware protection • Smart navigation features like typo correction • Detailed reporting and statistics about Internet activity
- In more than four years of service, OpenDNS has a perfect 100 percent uptime record.
- Three different services are offered: OpenDNS Basic, OpenDNS Deluxe and OpenDNS Enterprise.
- OpenDNS Basic is a free, ad-supported service. OpenDNS Deluxe and OpenDNS Enterprise are subscription services.
- OpenDNS created and operates PhishTank, a community-based clearinghouse for phishing data. Phishtank data is used to help OpenDNS block 1 million phishing attempts per month.
Think of OpenDNS like a better more intelligent phonebook. That’s what DNS is – a phonebook that converts the URL that you type into an IP address, so you can get to the computer that has that web page you are looking for.